Put Another Dime In…

0

It’s been awhile since there have been any new additions to the basement arcade. That all changed the other day when my daughter sent me a text message with a picture of an item she insisted we purchase. After asking the price, I agreed and we were soon on our way to pick up a Seeburg Q160 Jukebox. I think every arcade needs a jukebox and I’ve wanted one for a long time. The Q160 was produced from late 1959 to late 1960 and can store and play 80 45 rpm records. With 2 sides per record, that is 180 songs. Here are a couple of pictures:

I’ll be the first to admit, I know nothing about jukeboxes. It’s complete and looks to be in fairly decent shape...

Read More

Donkey Kong – C64 vs Arcade

0 Donkey Kong Title Screen

I’ve been thinking a bit about content to post since my games are all in storage and there obviously is no work being done on them. As you may know from my previous posts, I recently dug the Commodore 64 out of storage to give me something to occupy my time. So, for the next few posts, I’m going to take a look at original arcade games and how the Commodore 64 version compares.

Since my games aren’t accessible to me and I don’t have a video capture device for the Commodore, I’m going to do all of my comparisons via emulators. MAME for the arcade portion and VICE for the C64 portion. I chose my favorite game, Donkey Kong as the first candidate. I’m going to try and hit the games I own first, so we’ll be taking a look at the C64 ports of Dig Dug, Donkey Kong Jr., Ms. Pac-man, Track & Field and Centipede first, and then games I previously owned like Elevator Action, Missile Command and Jungle Hunt...

Read More

All Cleaned Up

0

Last Saturday, I started disassembling the play field on World Cup Soccer for a good cleaning.  This wasn’t a complete tear down, but about 90% of the items were removed.  I did not remove the pop bumpers or goalie assembly but everything else essentially came off.  I cleaned the play field with Novus 2, the plastics with Novus 1 and then installed a coat of wax to the playable areas of the play field.  New rubbers were installed as well as a new set of balls.  You can see what 30 years of gunk looks like once I removed the apron at the bottom of the play field:

Someone had waxed the table previously.  Unfotunately, they didn’t do a very good job of applying or removing the wax.  Here is a shot of one of the posts with wax residue encased in the grooves...

Read More

Light ‘Em Up

0

On Friday while playing a few games, I realized that I had a number of games with bad, unlit marquee lights.  I did some work on Saturday to rectify this.  Here are the results:

Everything is finally illuminated!  I may have some news in the next day or two about my next “project”.  Stay tuned….

Read More