Dig Dug – Almost Finished!

0

This project is finally coming to an end.  I spent some time this weekend putting a few of the finishing touches on the restoration.  The coin door, coin box and utilty panel were reinstalled.  I admit, I got a little lazy and didn’t repaint the coin box as originally planned.  The box can’t be seen and is in fairly good shape.

The t-molding that I ordered arrived so I decided to finish the other side.  Unfortunately, this was the side that had some repairs done, so a new groove would have to be routed.  I used my router and a slot cutting bit and routed a new groove for the t-molding on the repaired corner.  I then installed the rest of the t-molding.  It’s a fairly simple process as outside corners get cut with v grooves to fit the t-molding and inside corners simple get slots cut.  All of the cuts are made with a utility knife, although specialized tools are available.

Read More

Dig Dug – Side Art Finished, Coin Door Repainted

0

As with last weekend, I made some significant progress again this weekend.  The right side art was installed following the same procedures as used to install the left side.  After allowing the new side art to sit for a few hours, I applied two coats of ClearShield liquid laminate using a 9 inch 1/4″ nap roller.  If I had to do it all over again, I’d apply the laminate before putting the side art on the machine.  I also think that one coat would have been sufficient and would only apply one if I had to do it over again.  Regardless, the new side art looks great and the laminate will protect it from any future damage.

Once the laminate was dry, I applied the new t-molding to the right side of the cabinet.  After finishing the right side, I realized that I did not have enough to finish the left side.  I placed an order for more t-molding on Saturday and will have to wait for it to arrive before I can finish...

Read More

Dig Dug – Major Progress

0

It’s amazing what one can do with a three day weekend and some fairly decent weather!  It was nice enough this weekend that I could get out in the garage (as opposed to the basement) and continue some work on the Dig Dug cabinet.  Let me bring you up to speed on all that has taken place since the corner repair.

The side art was stripped from both sides of the cabinet using a heat gun and some good old fashioned elbow grease.  Once the side art was removed the entire cabinet was sanded, first with 80 grit paper, again with 120 grit paper and a final sanding with 220 grit paper.  I then applied two coats of primer to the entire exterior of the cabinet, sanding between coats with 220 grit sand paper.

Once the primer was finished, I painted the front and back exterior of the cabinet with four coats of flat black latex paint.  I applied the paint with a spray gun...

Read More

Dig Dug Corner Repair

0

I finally developed a plan for attacking the missing chunk on the bottom left corner of my cabinet.

It involved plexiglass, a putty knife, Bondo and lots of sandpaper.  After doing some research, I learned that one thing Bondo will not stick to is plexiglass.  I decided to make a “frame” for the missing corner out of some plexiglass I had laying around.  Doesn’t everyone have spare plexiglass laying around?  I couldn’t match the curve of the corner with the plexiglass so the frame would be made at a 90 degree angle.  After the process was complete, I would go back and cut the corner to the appropriate shape.

I attached one piece of plexiglass to the back edge of the cabinet.  I drilled two holes in the plexiglass and attached it with drywall screws.  I butted another piece of plexiglass up to that piece at a 90 degree angle and attached it to the bottom edge of the cabinet...

Read More

Dig Dug Parts Stripped

0

I spent a portion of Saturday evening stripping the parts out of the Dig Dug cabinet.  There are essentially two reasons for doing so:  You’ll see that the cabinet is filthy inside and I don’t want anything to get in the way when I attempt to repair the chipped off corner.  Below are a series of pictures of the parts removed from the cabinet.  Note the dust, particularly on the cabinet bottom, power supply and coin box.

Read More