Basement Arcade – The Plan

0

Some of you may remember my post from November, detailing the removal of the old carpeting which had been glued to the concrete floor in my unfinished basement.  After many weekends, the carpet and stubborn adhesive has finally been removed.  The plan is to turn a portion of the unfinished basement into a family room / bar / game room.  I’ve spent many nights planning the initial design and layout in Visio and think I’ve come up with a viable plan, although some of it needs some explanation. Click on the thumbnail below for a larger image: 

The staircase, at the upper left, essentially splits the unfinished portion, which will be used for storage and mechanicals, from the portion that will become finished.  The wall with the door, at the upper right, already exists but the drywall will be removed and some minor modifications made...

Read More

The Beginning Of The Basement Arcade

0

There hasn’t been much progress with the arcade restorations as of late. I’ve started a new project which has been eating up most of my free time. This new project is somewhat arcade related as I’ve started to finish my unfinished basement. The new, finished space will include a family/TV room, a wet bar and an area specifically for the arcade games.

The previous owners had painted the foundation walls white and put down some berber carpet but not much else had been done. I wasn’t fond of the carpet so before any construction could begin, I decided to remove it. Unfortunately, the carpet was glued to the concrete floor. I initially thought it might just be edge glued, but no such luck. Every square inch of the carpet is glued to the floor.

The quest to remove the carpet adhesive began.  My attempts to scrape it up dry did not go over well.  I then decided to mop water on sections and allow it to sit for about 20 minutes...

Read More