I finally developed a plan for attacking the missing chunk on the bottom left corner of my cabinet.
It involved plexiglass, a putty knife, Bondo and lots of sandpaper. After doing some research, I learned that one thing Bondo will not stick to is plexiglass. I decided to make a “frame” for the missing corner out of some plexiglass I had laying around. Doesn’t everyone have spare plexiglass laying around? I couldn’t match the curve of the corner with the plexiglass so the frame would be made at a 90 degree angle. After the process was complete, I would go back and cut the corner to the appropriate shape.
I attached one piece of plexiglass to the back edge of the cabinet. I drilled two holes in the plexiglass and attached it with drywall screws. I butted another piece of plexiglass up to that piece at a 90 degree angle and attached it to the bottom edge of the cabinet. I then placed a piece of plexiglass underneath the pieces and clamped it all together.
I started filling the frame with Bondo, spreading to around with a putty knife. It actually took three coats to get it to the proper level. Here’s a shot after the first coat was applied:
Then came the fun part…..sanding. I spent at least an hour sanding the Bondo to be even with the wood on the cabinet. Once I had it fairly close, I measured the angle on the right side corner, duplicated it on the left corner and cut the new piece to shape.
It still needs a bit of sanding but the corner has essentially been replaced and it’s rock solid. Unfortunately, I learned one lesson…the side art is one big “sticker”. I think I’ve essentially destroyed it, but I have a plan for repairing it. Stay tuned.