Power Play Progress

0

I had some free time over the holidays so I spent a great deal of time working on my recently acquired Power Play pinball. My first priority was a complete cleaning on the top side of the play field. Since I’m admittedly a novice with pinball machines, I decided to clean the play field in sections, always leaving a parts placement reference on the opposite side of the machine.

Each section was completely disassembled. All metal parts were thrown in a vibratory tumbler with walnut media for a thorough cleaning. Plastic parts were cleaned with Novus 2, a polish specifically designed to remove fine scratches and haziness.

Cleaning the play field was a multi-step process. It was initially cleaned with Simple Green cleaner. After that, I cleaned the play field lightly with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Be very careful with the Magic Eraser! If you have areas of wear, which I certainly did, the Magic Eraser will continue to eat paint off of these areas. Do not go crazy with it, but it’s great for removing ball marks. Following the Magic Eraser, I buffed the playfied with Novus 2 polish and finally 4 coats of carnauba wax were applied.

Below is the lower portion of the play field, before cleaning and after cleaning. In the before photo, the dirt and grime is most noticeable in the right side exit lane, near the “300 Down Post” exit lane. It’s also pretty noticeable around the right side kick area and around the flippers. Most of this dirt and grime is gone in the after picture:

In the middle of the play field, the clean play field is most noticeable at the exit of the right side lane behind the drop targets. In the before photo, you can see a trail of dirt headed from the exit of this lane, across the Blackhawks flag and towards the flippers. In the after photo, this dirt and grime is gone:

There’s not a whole lot of discernible difference on the top portion of the play field. The biggest difference is the installation of brand new plastic caps on each pop bumper. However, if you look at the latch that keeps the ball rolling back down the shot lane and the metal on the rebound bumper (upper left) in both the before and after photos, you can see the difference that the vibratory tumbler makes:

You’ll notice that I also replaced all of the white rubbers on the machine as well as the red flipper rubbers. I also replaced two solenoids on the underside of the playfield, one for the upper left flipper and one for the left side drop target bank. The right side upper flipper was rewired to remove about four wire splices. There is still one splice, as the wire was too short to attach to the solenoid, but I put a plastic wire cap on it to keep it from shorting against other wires.

The left side drop target bank is still not functional. I traced the problem back to a fried resistor on the solenoid driver board. In the picture below, the fried resistor is just below the “9″ on the tape piece:

I have replacement parts ordered for the fried resistor, but they haven’t arrived yet. I will actually be replacing every transistor, resistor and diode on that board. As it stands right now, I have between 25-30 hours invested in the disassembly, cleaning and reassembly of the play field parts. I can tell you this….pinball machines are much more work than arcade games!

Leave a Reply